Since LinkedIn’s official launch in 2003 to social media, it is now the WORLD’s largest professional networking website. At the rapid growth rate of 2 new members per second, LinkedIn continues to be the network of choice when it comes to prospecting, finding jobs and careers, and discovering opportunities.
Whether you’ve been on LinkedIn for awhile or are one of the two new members who just joined a couple seconds ago, there are a few easy things you must do with your profile to make you look more professional.
But BEFORE you makes these changes:
Click into “Improve My Profile” on your Homepage or under your Profile option on the top menu bar, click “Edit Profile” and on the right-hand side there is a box that says “Notify your network?”, make sure the toggle is set to NO. This way, as you are making a bunch of changes to your profile, LinkedIn won’t send out messages to your network alerting them that you’ve updated something. It’s up to you if you want your network alerted when you makes changes, just make sure to turn it back on when you’re done editing.
#1 Easy LinkedIn Profile Update
Custom URL Address
From the Profile Editing page, the first update you’ll want to make is to customize your profile’s URL. When you have a custom URL, it not only makes you look professional but it also tells the world that you know what you’re doing!
By default, LinkedIn gives you a URL address that looks like this:
To Modify Your URL:
- Move your cursor over the default URL until a Gear Icon appears, Click on it.
- In the right-hand column, Click the Pencil Icon in the section titled “Your Public Profile URL”.
- Select your custom URL name. Typically this would be your full name (if you’re lucky and no one else shares your name) but if your name is taken, you can make little tweaks such as adding a “-” or “_” or your middle initial – or be clever, just make sure it’s you.
Now you have a custom URL unique to you and unique to LinkedIn. That was easy!
#2 Easy LinkedIn Profile Update
Adding a Photo of You!
Add a Professional Photo of YOURSELF: It’s a fact that people remember faces more than they remember names. Also, you’re 14 times more likely to be found when you include your picture in your profile. Now, if you don’t want to be found – then this isn’t the place for you.
LinkedIn is a place “To Be Found” and “To Find”.
A couple of Do’s and Don’ts when posting your profile picture:
- Be Provocative or Duck Lips
- No Staged Photos
- Over Edited / Filtered
- No Face, Side of Head or Back to the Camera, or Not Having a Picture at All
- A Photo from 10 Years Ago
- Other People in the Picture
- Always Have a Recent Photo
- Look Personable
- Show Your Professional Personality
- Keep it Simple
- Smile with Your Eyes & Tilt Your Head Slightly
You can hire a professional or grab a trustworthy friend to snap your pic. Just make sure it reflects you and your professional self. If you’re still not sure if you’re picture is making the cut, check out photofeeler.com. If you rate 10 other individual’s photos, you can get your photo rated for free.
These are two easy LinkedIn profile changes you can make today. LinkedIn is a beast, take it one section at a time and you’ll be on your way to having a professional profile that will attract other professionals who will want to connect and do business with you or hire you!